All posts filed under “Towns

Hólmavík

The largest town in the Strandir region. Witchcraft played a significant role in this area in the 17th Century and this part of local history is wonderfully displayed in the Museum of Icelandic Sorcery and Witchcraft in Hólmavík.

Þingeyrarkirkja

The stone church was built in 1864-1865. There are many remarkable items in the church. The first cloister in Iceland was founded in 1133 in Þingeyri and it was also an ancient place of assembly.

Vestmannaeyjar

In 1973 an eruption in Heimaey led to the injury-free evacuation of all of its 5000 inhabitants. One of the main fishing towns in Iceland. Diverse birdlife and nesting capital for the greatest variety of seabirds anywhere in Iceland.

Vatnsnes

Renowned seal-watching area. Hvammstangi is a pleasant town on the Vatnsnes Peninsula and home to the Seal Centre of Iceland.

Stykkishólmur

The town is characterised by its soulful old houses. The ferry to Flatey and the West Fjords departs from Stykkishólmur.

Skálholt

Religious institution and former Episcopal See. Skálholt was the most important centre of education and government for many centuries. Summer baroque music concerts are held over five weekends in July and August.

Siglufjörður

Formerly the main herring fishing town of Iceland. The Herring Museum, the largest maritime and industrial museum in Iceland, is located here. The Museum received the Micheletti European Museum Award in 2004.

Reykholt

One of the most historically significant destinations in Iceland and home to the historian and poet Snorri Sturluson from 1206 – 1241. The annual Reykholt Music Festival is held the last week in July.

Möðrudalur

At 469m above sea level, the highest farm in Iceland. The church was built by the farmer Jón A. Stefánsson (1880 – 1971) and the altar cloth was also made by him.

Ísafjörður

The capital of the West Fjords, one of the largest fishery centres in the country. At Neðstakaupstað there are protected buildings dating back to the time of Danish Trading Associations. The oldest house is dated 1757.